Sunday, February 19, 2012

Working with logs

Aside from a 3-day break to heal a sore back, I've spent the last 10 days or so focusing on collecting logs to use as building materials. I have a lot of building projects to keep me occupied, and with more time than money it makes sense to use our our woodlot's sustainable supply of pine/spruce/fir to this end.

Temporary, haphazard workstation

Woodman's Pal for removing branches, drawknife for peeling the bark

The collection begins

And it keeps on growing

I would guess it has taken perhaps 30-45 minutes per log on average to get it from forest to workstation and peeled, and the logs are all 9' or 5'.

My first two projects are a two-bin compost system like the one below but with logs instead of boards and saddle-notched corners



And a goat shelter that may end up looking like either this one

From the wonderful 5 acres and a dream blog
Or this Sepp Holzer shelter



For now, just getting the logs ready for building is enough. I'll figure out the whole 'construction' side of things when I get there.

3 comments:

  1. It is!

    But for me it's one of those tough jobs that are worth it. I already feel a huge sense of accomplishment and I haven't even built anything yet :) I'm learning a lot, gaining experience, and using renewable resources from the land... it's a win-win situation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.

    To me "knowing where your building materials come from" goes hand it hand with "knowing where your food comes from".

    Most building materials come from deforestation. It comes from the cutting of huge healthy trees. The trees we use are individually selected from our wood lot. Leaving the majority of the forest standing. A lot of the trees used for fire wood (or building logs) are either standing dead, leaning on other trees, fallen because of wind storms, etc. Our forest stays very much alive and it leaves us with a great sense of accomplishment along with a sense of respect for nature which provided for us.

    ReplyDelete